November is a great month to get started on winterizing your plumbing systems. We all know that water expands as it freezes, which can cause strain on your plumbing system. Below are a few tips/precautions you can take to help save you down the road.
1) Make sure your crawl space vents are closed up tight and add extra insulation over all openings you find.
2) If your bathroom pipes run along the exterior wall, open up the door on the vanity to allow warm air inside.
3) Remove, drain and store your garden hoses.
4) Leave your kitchen sink and/or bathroom sink at a slow drip overnight when temperatures drop below 32 degrees.
5) Leave a cabinet door open under all sinks to allow heat inside.
6) NEVER thaw a frozen pipe with an open flame! Use a hair dryer, heat lamp or space heater.