Do you know what to do now so you can buy in the future?Don’t worry, you’re not alone. However, many homeowners spend less than six months from concept to contract. Therefore, it’s never to early to start the process and we can tell you a good place to begin.
- Do a credit check-up – Get a copy of your credit reports and examine them carefully. Pay down your debt, especially credit cards. Limit the amount of new credit purchases, and don’t open (or close) accounts.
- Start saving – Reduce your expenses to save as much as possible. You’ll need a minimum down payment of 5 percent, or more, to give you the best financing options.
- Learn about mortgages – Talk to a mortgage consultant and learn what to expect. When you are within 3 months of buying, get pre-qualified to see what you can afford and your potential interest rate.
- Follow the market – Begin your home search on allentate.com and sign up for 1st to Know to receive new listings that meet your criteria. Attend open houses in the areas where you might want to live. Consider all options, including single-family, townhomes and condos.
- Develop a relationship with a Realtor – Even if you are a year away from buying, we can keep you informed about market trends, special programs and properties you might be interested in. When you are ready, we can help you navigate the process to achieve your goal.