So you want to build a custom home? This is a multi-part series that will cover topics such as choosing a builder, architect and home site, going from plans to final price and finally what to anticipate during the construction process. First, I’ll help you select a builder. I think this is the most important step given that your builder will be a knowledgeable partner that can assist with the selection of your home selection and lot. Finding the right builder is no different from any other major decision you would make…
- Do your homework and ask lots of questions.
- Visit custom home developments and talk with the on-site reps
- They can fill you in on who are the builders in the community and what differentiates them from each other.
- Talk with friends and acquaintances that have built and ask them what they think of their builder.
- Ask your favorite Realtor to recommend a builder that they have worked with in the past.
- Do a search for the builder online and see what comes up.
- Visit their website, view past projects, see the styles of homes they have built and learn more about their history.
- You may also find blogs or other pro and con views that have been posted by past customers.
- Amid all this research, make sure they have their contractor’s license and are not operating under someone else’s…that is a real red flag and may mean that they have had past problems.